Plastic Pollution Challenge
At the macro level, there is no mechanism for different action groups to collaborate and take ownership of environmental initiatives, especially on plastic. At the micro level, while there have been vigorous efforts to reduce plastic pollution and clean up the environment, most are scattered, disjointed and non-continuous quick fixes.
GreenPoints is a mobile application leveraging the power of gamification to make living green easier and more enjoyable. Collaborating with multiple stakeholders, GreenPoints encourages communities to take green actions under a wide range of themes (trash classification, clean up activities, etc), receive GP (the currency of the green ecosystem), and redeem points for gifts for self, family or community.
We aim at becoming a platform to unite and amplify all stakeholders’ initiatives and interests. We apply gamification and game-based philosophy to making green actions more fun and engaging. Users can become green billionaires, and we can all celebrate their achievements together.
GreenPoints provides tools for and incentivizes people to use less plastic, recycle more, take green actions, and reward themselves as well as their communities. That way, we touch both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations, self and social interests alike, and most importantly, leverage the resources of stakeholders and players to create a tool to tackle existing garbage and prevent future pollution.
- A healthy environment: via green actions and gamification, and different themes of living green: clean up, education, reduction, reuse and recycling activities can be taken ;
- Better social well-being: individual, group-based, and family themes create a better sense of belonging and self-actualization;
- Better coordination: dashboards and ranking in the GreenPoints app, motivate stakeholders to act more transparently to promote themselves as accountable actors in the ecosystem;
- Better economic security: the Green Point virtual currency incentivizes actions for rewards – make refillable products and grow vegetables, make organic compost; green donation to match money funded from sponsors.
SDG 9 – Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities
SDG 12 – Responsible Consumption and Production
SDG 13 – Climate Action
SDG 14 – Life below Water
SDG 17: Partnerships to achieve the Goal.
As an impact enterprise, GreenPoints aims to be a strategic partner of the government, development agencies, corporate companies and the community, to combat environmental issues together.
Our potential customers are any end users with smartphones. They are beneficiaries, and also players in cross selling/ advertising themes. Other stakeholders are sponsors (corporations, UNDP, USAID,…), executors (local CSOs, environmental companies), or policy promoters/ makers (government agencies, ministries, VASI,…). This model will foster private-public partnership formation to solve environmental issues.
Our target is the Vietnamese mass market, where smartphone penetration rate is 40%. GreenPoints empowers or collaborates with partners in different sectors as a pathway to growth. Some specific segments within the market include:
- NPOs and their volunteers: creating campaigns on apps for users to participate;
- Government agencies and staff: monitoring waste sites and organizing waste collection programs with communities and business sponsors;
- Enterprises and staff: helping employees to live greener, bond better with colleagues;
- Schools and communities: easy and fun as extra curricular activities;
- In Ha Long Bay : local citizens, fishermen, tourists.
Traction and Key Metrics
- 30/12/2019: Launched in Ho Chi Minh City, with the basic theme of giving wasteand old belongings to receive GP, then exchange for gifts, attracting 100 first users, via the mobile-app;
- 7/2020: Set-up in HCMC, Ben Tre, Ha Noi, Thanh Hoa, attracting over 1,000 users and media (regional TV and newspapers);
- 10/2020: Finished new features, including green map that promotes green terminals, report gray dumping spots, manage clean up campaigns, establish monthly local green fairs and green donation;
- 16/9/2020: Won two first prizes in the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Plastic Innovation Contest (link) and became one of 14 finalists in the UNDP EPPIC Competition;
- 12/2020: Launched campaigns to test new features, attracted a corporate sponsor and two individual donors committed to matching funds for green donations.
By 2040, all Vietnamese citizens will be green billionaires. GreenPoints helps develop green and sustainable communities in Ha Long, leveraging gamification to increase user engagement. Users feel a strong sense of community and belonging, understanding that they must “go far, go together” in the journey to combat plastic waste and climate change.
Expected annual income: USD 250,000 (1st year); USD 500,000 (2nd year); USD 1,000,000 (3rd year).
Sources of funds:
- In 2020, we already bootstrapped USD 50,000, (developed app and tested prototypes);
- In 2021, we are looking for USD 250,000, preferably in the forms of grants, CSR funds, service contracts and public private partnership;
- In 2022 and 2023, we will raise USD 500,000, for operation and scaling up.